July 13, 2011

Funny Things Happen When You Ride a Bike

     We live near a little downtown area filled with shops and restaurants that generally seems to be pretty safe. We often walk or ride our bikes here especially in the summer because who the hell wants to be in a car anyways? Well, last night my favorite person requested that I embark on a quest to satisfy her sweet tooth. She sent me to the local fro-yo shop and wanted a timely retreat. So I said okay and went to grab my bike because I knew it would get me there and back quicker than my SUV. She did not agree, and threw me the keys to the car and said, "take mine."
     Now I certainly didn't put up much of a fight, but neither would you if you were standing in the way of lion and her kill. This woman could eat frozen yogurt every day, the same flavor, for the rest of her life. I try to make sense out of it by relating it to my addiction to coffee.
     So I took the car and made my first pass by the yogurt shop and of course there wasn't anywhere to park. I turned around and tried the other side of the street and you guessed it, no fucking spots. And if it wasn't for the Fro-Yo Queen, I would have driven home and parked the car and left on my bike. However, I did the thing that would make her keep a normal perception of me in her head (who am I kidding, that was gone a long time ago). I ended up parking a few blocks away and walking to the shop. I wasn't in a mood and I actually found it amusing, plus I knew she would send me back the next day which would give me an excuse to redeem myself to myself.
(My bike, the following day on a yogurt run) Photo: PedalandPetal
      Not only did I redeem myself by riding my bike to the yogurt shop today, but I did it in less than have of the total time it took me drive, park and walk to the same shop yesterday. And probably the best thing was returning to my bike only to find that the kind people at my local yogurt shop tied balloons to my bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment